This richly illustrated and easy-to-use Field Guide is an invitation to explore the ecological and cultural fabric of a diverse Hudson Valley landscape. Informed by decades of original research by the Hawthorne Valley Farmscape Ecology Program and Hudsonia Ltd., it provides readers with the tools to recognize and get to know more than 34 distinct habitats, and includes—
- Information on how to identify and distinguish each habitat in the landscape
- Maps of public areas where habitats can be experienced
- What to look for, including lists of associated wild plants and animals
- Stewardship ideas and considerations
- Habitat history in the context of human history
- Perspectives from people interacting with the habitats
- Interactive suggestions for engaging with different habitats
From the Hudson to the Taconics is for anyone who inhabits, visits, or loves this landscape. Casual readers, naturalists, biologists, educators, policy makers, and land managers alike will find in it ample resources to deepen a personal relationship with this land and an understanding of the wild plants and animals who share it.
PREORDERS NOW AVAILABLE: For a limited time in advance of the April 2024 book release, you can preorder From the Hudson to the Taconics and receive a 20% discount off of the cover price and an option to save on shipping by picking up directly at the Creekhouse (1075 Harlemville Road, Ghent, NY). Preorders can be made using this Preorder Form that can be printed, filled out, and mailed directly to Black Dome Press (address on form), or by contacting Black Dome Press at 518-577-5238 to complete a preorder over the phone.